Monday, June 27, 2011

"There's nothing to writing...

All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein."
~Walter Wellesley "Red" Smith

Or if you write Horror...an artery.

And so, the Seton Hill Residency is over, and I'm back at home.  Books I've ordered for the "Haunting" Horror module surround me, although the class doesn't officially start until August.  My manuscript beckons to me begging for revision, since I now have new tools to attack and edit it, and I find I have a lot of planning to do. I have a lot of reading and writing to do, but I am committed to doing it.  Committed to learning more about the craft of writing. I thought I knew so much, and I certainly had some skills before starting this endeavor, but I have so much more to learn. And I'm grateful for the path I've chosen.

I would be lying if I said it wasn't just a little daunting. I'm used to balancing work and studies, but not used to writing every day (at least for 25 minutes, Joe). My pledge is to bring my manuscript out once on a new calendar date to write (or at least edit) what I've done already, and to finally bring Dr Johnny Stench to life. He's been with me since 2008. A faithful friend. It is the very least I can do for him, but now I know I have to torture him more, make him go through more pain, put him through greater emotional roller-coasters...and I have to ask...Will he ever forgive me?

So today is dedicated to pulling out my first three chapters, and attempting to apply the tools I was given at Seton Hill this past week, and apply them. I hope I do them justice.

Time to slash and hack...

~Q

No comments:

Post a Comment